Wednesday, May 19, 2010

At least I know what I'm talking about... (most of the time)

I must confess,I've never really been the model student when it comes to attending tutorial classes. I never did the the tutorial questions beforehand (except for maths; I like maths!) and mostly just waited to be given the solutions or to copy them off from someone. I wonder what my tutors thought of me? Hahaha...

Well, for some reason (I signed up!) I am a tutor this semester (oh, the irony!). Given my rather poor record as a former tutor-ee, I don't really mind if a student:
- walks in late (It's a morning class after all.)
- leaves early (I've always always left early for my own tutes.)
- mistakes the tutor for one of the students (Hey! I'm probably 4 years older than you! Grr...)
- doesn't want to do the questions (Sometimes you just don't want to do fluid mechanics. I get that. I don't want to do 'em pesky questions either.)
- pretends the lecturer didn't cover the topic in lectures (What he didn't cover this in the lectures? Really...? Really, really...? Wait, did you even go to the lecture? No?!!)
- lies down on the floor at the back of the class to sleep (One guy actually did this for about 10 minutes.)
- studies some other subject (This is just weird. If you're going to study, why would you want to do it in a noisy classroom?)
- just sits there. Yup. Just sits there. For 2 whole hours. Just sitting. And sitting. And sitting. (Whatever, man.)

What does annoy me is when someone:
- shows up without their lecture notes/ tutorial questions (Oh, the extra money I could have made if I had charged for lending out my copy)
- shows up without paper to write on (Why'd you even come to uni today?)

But what I really, really, REALLY hate is, when someone pulls out their iPhone and starts playing with it. I don't know why. But this is one of the things that really get me annoyed. It is just super duper irritating! I'd rather you talk to your friends or sit down for two hours meditating. Heck, I'd rather you bring in a Monopoly board and start playing at the back of class. But too stare enraptured at a little screen and tapping on it for a whole hour? Dude, it's not good for your eyes! It's not good for your fingers! Don't sell your soul to the devil!!!

.
.
.
Ahem. Okaaaay, moving on.

I have to say though the noisy ones are entertaining, it's the quiet ones who do well on tests. Actually, it's the one guy who never shows up for tutorials that does well on tests. But I remember him. Because the first time he showed up to take his test, he came in 10 minutes late (presumably because he had trouble finding the tute room since it's his first time after all), didn't bring any paper to write his answers on (Nope, sorry. I don't have paper either), scribbled his answer on the back-side of his test paper and proceeded to get FULL MARKS. Awesome!!!
Moral of the story: The tutors are screwing around with you. It's better if you just study on your own. (No, seriously!)
Oh! But it is also possible that this guy actually goes to one of the other tutorials! If that's the case, then I'd have to ask: Why don't you come to any of my tutorials, guy who always gets full marks?)

Oh, the joys of teaching (which on reflection I haven't really talked about at all in this post)! If I had another semester in uni, I'd probably sign up to tutor again.

No comments:

Post a Comment