I first picked up this book, only because it was on offer. A bundle of three of Marquez's novels for the price of two. I've heard of him, but have never read any of his works. I was worried at first. Sometimes I buy books that I don't read. And they languish on my bookshelf at home. To be forgotten till the next time I decide the bookshelf needs dusting.
But this book I brought back to Sydney with me where it stayed in my cupboard for a year or so gathering Australian dust. However, this summer I set out to finally read it. And I finished it!
It was AWESOME!
I like how the characters, despite their obvious shortcoming and flaws, are still characters that you come to care about. Or how the supernatural blends in with the normal as if it is the most natural thing in the world (wiki tells me this is a sub-genre of its own). Almost every scene there's and underlying message that's both painfully obvious but still elusive unless you stop and ponder it.
I loved it.
No comments:
Post a Comment