I'd been hearing nothing but praises for this so around a week ago I went to watch it with a friend at IMAX.
The good
- Superb graphics, that's breathtaking especially since its 3D.
- The pacing was good, high entertainment value
- Blue aliens!
The bad
- While I liked the concept, I don't think that the storyline or themes were groundbreaking or particularly new
- There were small bits that bugged me and just felt... wrong.
i) For instance, the concept "bonding"was emphasized a lot and was depicted really well in the scene where our blue hero was learning how to ride a horse. But when he went to "bond" with his ikram, it felt really heavy-handed. Going from aggresively trying to kill you to obeying your every command within seconds? Sheesh. More like brainwashing then bonding.
ii) Another scene that didn't quite make sense was during the attack on the village. The helicopter pilot (can't remember her name) decided to fly off because she didn't agree with the act. Wouldn't this be a violation of direct orders? Sure they're considered mecernaries rather than a proper army. But you'd think that they'd confine her as punishment for disobeying orders or at least restrict her movements so that she can't just freely walk around into secure areas.
So for me at least: Good movie. Recommended watch. But not as awesome as everyone else seems to think it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment