Sunday, December 12, 2010

Trying to make sense of it all

I know it's only been 3 days at work but after those 3 days I've come to a conclusion that
a) The company I'm at does do interesting work BUT
b) I'm not involved in things that I find interesting AND
c) I don't feel like I'll be there long enough to be involved in them.

I think my dream job would be one where all that mattered was that I met all my KPIs. And it didn't matter where or when my physical body existed as long as I do my work. Translation: I come in and leave the office at times of my own choosing and work at home when I feel that my physical presence is not necessary (of course while remaining easily contactable via phone/internet if anyone needs me).

But then I think back. When I was doing the labwork for my thesis, I spent an insane amount of time in the lab. On the worse days, when there were many many samples to run, I would be in the lab from early morning till late at night. Often I skipped lunche. Sometimes I had 2-hour tutoring slot squeezed in. But really I didn't mind. Because the work, while repetitive, occupied my mind. So really, I strongly feel, that if I had a job which I enjoyed doing, I wouldn't mind the long hours IF I had a job that kept my interest.

But you know what I detest? Commuting. I want to live where I work. Or have a instantaneous teleporter.

So, as I was thinking about all this I asked myself;

If I had a steady source of income that could basically pay for anything that I wanted (even pay-off that half-million debt I have), would I willingly:
i) get an engineering job?
ii) get a non-engineering job?
iii) do a postgraduate course in engineering?
iv) do a postgraduate course that is not related to engineering?
v) do a second undergraduate or a diploma course?
vi) study other things?
vii) get married?
viii) move to another country?

i) NO! I have always told anyone that asked that I would like to work in a technical engineering job. But really, while I enjoyed my engineering studies and while I think that designing and modelling and other types of engineering work are nifty things to do, if ever comes the opportunity for me not to have to work again... SAYONARA, babe.

ii) Maybe. Not a full-time job though. And definitely something close to home (or from home!).

iii) No.

iv)  Maybe. Not a MBA. But something else, maybe.

v) YES. *diplomainmathematics*

vi) YES. *languages*

vii) Yes? Possibly, if the right (or right-enough) guy exists. And I somehow meet him. And he somehow thinks that I am the right (or right-enough) girl.

viii) Maybe. If I could move my whole family as well. Really, I don't feel any love for my country at the moment.

So there. After all that the ideal solution would be to meet and fall in love with a rich foreigner who pays off all my debt, whisks me (and my family) away to some foreign land (!!!) where I am able to stay at home and do what-ever-the-hell tickles my fancy.

Like that will ever happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment