Sunday, February 6, 2011

Still in limbo land.

I have various thoughts bouncing around in my head and since they’ve been there, unresolved, for so long it feels like a group of crazy college kids are playing bumper cars in there. Or something like that. Don’t worry, you don’t have to pretend that my metaphors make sense.

Where will I be come March?

This is my biggest issue to date. Am still waiting for news from Mr Sponsor, while the clock keeps slowly ticking by. The 6-months "grace period" for them to place me somewhere is ending soon. In 17 days. Out of that only 12 are working days. If they make an offer, then whatever the offer is, I'll be packing up and leaving my current job. If they don't? Then... what? Do I want to stay? Do I want to look for another job? I don't know.

I don't hate my current job. But I don't like either. It's just *meh*. My primary concern is that a lot of people seem to be thinking of quitting. Like A LOT. From what I gather their reasons for such is
a) The boss. They don't like one particular guy. Even the other bosses don't like him. In fact, it seems everyone doesn't like him. I personally have no problems with him, but then maybe it's just a matter of time. I don't know.
b) Job scope and workload. Really, even I feel it's crazy. We're understaffed, and everyone is more or less required to do work that's not really what they're there for. For instance, the accounts/admin department was created about the same time I joined. Before that someone else had the hounours of having double duty (ie engineer/admin) at the same time. We don't have an administrator. And since I've gotten used to having proper procedures (blame my enviro/Aussie-educated background) I find that everything is a mess.
c) Non-existent recruitment. For some reason, they can't seem to find more people. They do get a lot of resumes and from what I heard have also interviewed a fair number of people, but there still many vacant positions. Especially at a managerial level. Which brings us to the next point.
d) So-called office politics. Everything's basically handy-dandy among the junior staff. But apparently one former manager quite because office power struggles (and her box is still empty). At which one wonders what the chances of moving up in the company is like?
e) Pay. The pay is... acceptable I suppose. Basic pay isn't much. Apparently most of the money can be made if you work on site. But I guess it's still not enough if people are still thinking of quitting?

I really don't know if I should stay. If I look for a different job, it could be better or worse.

Still hoping for an offer from Mr Sponsor. It's the easy way out but I don't want to have to decide. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment