Saturday, November 6, 2010

Weddddddingggggggggggg

When you're standing directly next to a troupe of kompang players, does it feel like your hear will go out of its steady rhythm in a weird attempt to beat in time with the kompangs?

Yesterday, my cousin got married. So we went all the way to her house for the akad at which I met a whole bunch of relatives. And relatives of relatives. And relative of relatives of relatives. And we're all one big happy (related) family. Or at least it felt that way. Coming home in the afternoon soon proveed that my slight sorethroat in the morning has turned into a full blown fever :( So I spent the rest of the day feeling quite sorry for myself and cosying up with the cold compress. Dear Ice Packs, I loooooooooove you. In fact, I think the fevered-me loves you more than I could even love Panadol.

The reception was today. And my mom deemed me healthy enough to attend (ie nak taknak kena pegi jugak). So off I go, with my sore throat and cough. Luckily the fever broke the night before. Went early, got food. And met the other half of the relatives that we didn't meet the day before.

And then, omg, the photographers. How many photographers/videographers and what nots does one event need to have? Do you know what I do if I spot one of those big shiny camera thingys approaching?
a) Hide behind person or persons bigger or taller than me in hopes of being shielded
b) Walk to the opposite side of the room
c) Pretend not to see it and just turn around so that my back is towards the photographer and pray that he/she will just walk past
Dear friends, this does not work when you're seated and eating at the table. It also does not work when you're greeting relatives and somehow get stuck in between said relative, two tables and you sister with the photographer approaching from across the table.

So, I had my picture taken (several times). The photographer who accosted us when we were eating at the table, was actually the same guy who was photographing the day before. In fact, when we were leaving the day before he was helpfully giving us directions on the best way to get home. And while taking our picture he suddenly, stopped and went "Eh, makcik semalam!" (Clarification: He said this my mom okay, not to me. Jangan fikir bukan-bukan pulak). And he stopped to chat for awhile and it turned out that he is the long lost school friend of the bride's brother. Small world.

And then as we were leaving, the bridal party arrived. So we tiba-tiba jadi penyambut tetamu tepi pintu while the bride and groom entered the hall. Ahahaha... Seriouly, the number of times my family has been pulled in just to inflate the numbers.

Did you know that in a kompang troupe of about 10 or so players, there is one person who plays a drum?

No comments:

Post a Comment